Resources on System-Wide Policies & Practices
- A letter distributed to campuses and includes excerpts of the CSU Chancellor White’s statement at the last Board of Trustees meeting:https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/chancellor/Documents/Chancellor-White-Letter-November-17-2016.pdf
- CSU Chancellor White’s memo to campus presidents on U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement: attached.
- Joint statement of the Chancellor and the CSSA (Cal State Student Association): https://www2.calstate.edu/csu-system/media-center/Pages/Joint-CSU-CSSA-Statement-on-the-Presidential-Election.aspx
The Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles (CHIRLA) offers legal services. Here is their hotline: 213-353-1333.
What Educators Can Do
- Resources to pursue public statements of support from institutions and adoption of sanctuary school policies. Includes links to pursue school-wide trainings for staff, faculty, administrators on how to be an effective ally:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EGNrsdXF0j3CWoHp0i6np0K8xcoFvV22AlL8itwRFus/mobilebasic
- Resources and info about legal rights for our most vulnerable student populations, including our Muslim, LBGT and immigrant students, specifically within schools: https://www.aclu.org/feature/feel-at-risk
- Educators at the Hiawatha Academies shared these resources which help students recognize and respond to bias against immigrants, Muslims and Sikhs. Visit their website for information about their Community Healing Forum and see their statement reaffirming their commitment to multi-culturalism: http://www.tolerance.org/voting-elections
- Information for families of a detained immigrant: http://www.endisolation.org/resources/for-families/
- Information to support immigrant students in enrolling in higher ed. They have compiled where undocumented can apply to higher ed and where they are eligible for financial aid: http://theconversation.com/heres-how-undocumented-students-are-able-to-enroll-at-american-universities-69269
- Online tool that screens that screens for common forms of immigration relief. https://www.immi.org/home/index